Water Main Leaks Cheshire

DHC Utilities is a Water Industry Approved Plumber (WIAPS) based in Chesire.
Specialised with over 15 years’ experience in water main leak detection and repair.

water main repair.jpeg

Identifying Your Water Main

There are three types of water main pipes and it’s important to know the difference between them as they define who is responsible for maintenance and replacements.
Water mains are large pipes located in most cases under public land, such as roads. Water mains are, as the name suggests, the main pipe suppling water to an area.
There are two other types of water pipe that form the chain of getting water to your home.
Communication pipes: These are connected to the water main and go to your property boundary, and so are still on public land


Supply pipes: Which are the same as communication pipes, the difference is they are on your land, leading to your property.

Who is responsible?

Water mains and communication pipes are the responsibility of the water utility company to maintain and replace.
Supply pipes are your responsibility to maintain and replace. In some cases, your utility company may offer to maintain these pipes, but they don’t have too. When work is done to a supply pipe, you may become aware that it is shared with neighbours. In this instance it is the shared responsibility of you and your neighbour(s).